Escalating Density Training (EDT) - Weights... I know

Regarding road cycling I am not such a huge proponent of weight lifting for cycling performance, although I do believe it frequently is beneficial in the right quantities. It’s especially for MTB riders for example. I have recently gotten turned on to EDT (Escalating density training) which is usually associated with big strong guys but I think it is actually perfect for us “regular joes” as well. There is a good book on it, but here is a video explaining how it works. It’s great because it is safe and has a very simple, straightforward progression mechanism built in. It’s also fixed time which is a benefit to many people.

This books is really good if you like reading.
https://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Logic-Escalating-Density-Training-ebook/dp/B004GGUBMG/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=edt+training&qid=1622833559&sr=8-8

I have just started this after doing minimal weight training for a while. I will let you know how it goes. I know a fair amount about weight training and EDT really resonates with me.

@Alex
I really like Greg Nuckols’ Stronger by Science program and philosophy, (previously called Average to Savage 2.0) https://www.strongerbyscience.com/program-bundle/

It’s quite affordable ($10) and there’s a lot to sort through (a lot of variations) but once you read through the materials and have it setup I find it works well for a self-coached, numbers oriented person like myself. The main reason I like it is that you setup the spreadsheet with your (estimated) 1RM, and you input your performance for each exercise each time (estimated or tested) and it will give you the weight you need to work at.

This avoids the problem I have with other (non spreadsheet) programs where you need to figure out the weight you need to work at each time plus need to self adjust and regulate week by week. The calculations are all handled by the spreadsheet.

Cool. I am such a kindle reader that sadly if it is not on Kindle I can’t read it. You should try EDT some time. It is dead simple and does not require any thinking either and does not require any spreadsheet work. I have tried a lot of different strength programs and this one opened my eyes in a totally new way. It pulled things together I had heard in different places.

It’s so traditional for strength programs to target that 8-12 rep range which is actually for body builders not for strength guys. Not sure about your book. Part of the eye opening part about EDT is it’s focus on speed. The faster you move the weights, the more force you are applying. Lifting 50kg at 4 seconds vs lifting 50kg at 1 second you are applying 4X more force and thus getting stronger (ability to apply force). Other programs don’t seem to reward you or take force (speed+weight) into account. Getting faster with the same weights means you are getting stronger. Progessing to more weight is super simple. As soon as you improve your total # of reps by 20% you increase.

The other part of EDT is the focus on doing like a total of 4 compound exersizes.

I need to get back to EDT, it was working extremely well. This has been a year of kids getting sick non-stop in 1st grade and I have been catching a lot from them. Never got COVID but got some long lasting stuff. Finally everyone is healthy hopefully it lasts.

Really there are a lot of good ways to get strong and the most important is consistency. So what ever keeps you consistent is the best program :slight_smile: I just found EDT very unique, dead simple, a very small amount of time required and extremely effective.

@Alex

I’ll check out the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

What I pointed to wasn’t a book so much as an actual full program (actually multiple spreadsheets with slightly different variations) with explanation.

From their sales image you can see that rep range varies from week to week, with proscribed weight. When you enter your performance (sets completed, estimated or actual reps to failure) the weight for next week will automatically adjust. In essence it’s a method to measure and adjust performance. I like that it takes the guess work out and becomes the workout log.

I completely agree that consistency is key, and enjoyment (hence doing it) is much more important than optimality. I hope you stay healthy and get those strength gains.

Oh, I see you said that was their sales image. I thought that was you. I was saying praise that you are amazing :slight_smile:

I see they are showing the big compound exersizes so that looks like a good plan. Yes I understood the concept of the spreadsheet doing the magic. I was saying with EDT it’s so simple you don’t really even need anything to know when you need to progress, just track what you did and add it up. For example today I lifted 1500 lbs of kettlebell snatch in 7.5 minutes. Now two weeks later I am at 2,000 lbs so I can increase to approximatly 20% bigger kettlebells. I was using some app called stronger to just track my sets and reps very efficiently and it gave me total daily volume so I could just eyeball their chart to see when I need to increase.

I wish those were my numbers :joy: Try dividing those by two :rofl:

It’s interesting that EDT uses tonnage/work to gauge performance. I guess the program I’m using is more akin to traditional powerlifter style powerlifting.

Yes tonnage in a specific period of time means increasing speed of lifting. Actually speed of lifting is more aligned with power lifters. Also power lifters don’t go to failure like body builders do for example. So the goal of getting faster means stronger not more weight or reps.

More reps does not really mean stronger it means you likely spent more time under load not less, which you could say is more strength/endurance. More reps in the same amount of time means stronger (ability to apply pressure), or more weight in the same amount of time. EDT is also very safe and due to focus on non-stop speed has an aerobic component, you are breathing hard. It’s very different. Not saying it is the best just mention it’s uniqueness.