General Discussions

Doing lots of reading so not to ask too many silly questions.

See you in a week or 2, ha ha!

1 Like

There are no silly questions here :slight_smile:

Where can i find corrsct settings for the app
I have a kickr, favero Pedals and an ipad.
Power Match doesnt work or its really bad

Hi there. Our power match works well for many people but it works poorly for large power changes especially if there are big differences between your power meter and trainer at times. Just like TrainerRoad we do need to build “Power match 2.0,” and this is planned but very complex so it will take some time. You can search this forum for more discussions on this. I wish we had a magic setting to improve your experience.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Setting up TrainingPeaks

4 posts were split to a new topic: Change home page to redirect to web app for logged in users

I feel like I’m making some sort of a stupid mistake but I give up and I’m asking for help. I use Trainer Day flawlessly for ERG workouts. However, I cannot seem to get it working on slope or resistance modes when I don’t want to use ERG. In the examples below I am using the power meter on the bike and smoothness of 3; Cycleops Hammer (first gen); and I’m on my CX bike so gearing is limited with a small front chainring.

I can put slope at 0% and I get about 170w, 1% about 200w, 2% about 220w,at 3% it becomes impossible to pedal with extremely high load.

Resistance mode is totally unpredicatble and changing resistance doesn’t change load; right now it’s sitting on 400w.

I’m trying to set a low level of resistance for easy riding, using gear changes to dial in what feels right; then I want to double or triple that level of resistance to do some efforts (no front chain ring) still based upon RPE. Does this make sense?

What am I overlooking? Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you are doing everything fine but also sounds strange. Your trainer might not support resistance mode, but you could change the increments to 1% in settings and change it to 1% to see if that helps. Slope mode you are saying 3% to 4% goes from 220w to something very large. I would say make sure you don’t have any other power meter plugged in if you do. Your goal of using gearing and cadence to set intensity should be totally achievable if we figure out what the problem is. Are you using Android or iOS?

Android. I’ll jack with it again tonight. Resistance mode works with my Garmin 530, it’s just cantankerous to use and I need the crank power number.

Thanks for the comments.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: I would like virtual power. Will you add it? (COMPLETED)

Hi i am quite new so please redirect me if i am in wrong.

Riding the “FTP builder free workout” in ERG mode i stopped spinning for a while (too strong, my intention was to incrase the cadence using a lighter gear ) but when i restarted, the trainer it was almost blocked so i click on “resist”, i increased the cadence and when it was what desired i click again on ERG continuing the workout with a higher cadence at the target watts. Did I do right ? thanks

Welcome. That’s a fine solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Small Spring break, as many of us will move with home cycle to reality. Did you know that about wheels?

[Zdravkovich (1992)] also introduced a quantity named the shape factor, defined as the ratio of the wheel diameter to the tire width. Increasing the shape factor from 22 to 31, thus narrowing the tires, the drag coefficient increased with up to almost 40%.

This comes from a very interesting (to me) study:

Bicycle aerodynamics: History, state-of-the-art and future perspectives

Highlights

• Aerodynamic development of bicycle and its main components throughout history.
  • Linked to historical evolution of the world hour record.
  • Specific focus on frame, wheels and handlebar.
  • Providing future perspectives for research and development.

Drivers of that “Laufmaschine” were reaching 10-15 km/h. "However, the presence of the Laufmaschine on sidewalks created danger for the pedestrians and pushed several municipalities to forbid the use of the Laufmaschine on sidewalks and inside cities /…/"

Happy Spring time!

Yeah, I was aware that tire width was not such a clear benefit but this is interesting. Andrea travels around Europe and goes to wind tunnels on a regular basis with the Trek team. I am sure he has the latest evidence from a pro cyclist perspective.

Here was a random picture he sent me one day…

I have been using the free plan at noticed that the app doesn’t calculate the workout resistance based on my FTP. Typically, I just increase the resistance to 200% to get a workout in but wondering if I am doing something wrong on the setup

Hi, I need a little more info. Something is confusing about what you are saying. What devices are you using. Free version should work fine.

Hi Alex,

My subscription for the Wahoo suite expired and I was looking for something more functional and less contrived. I found TrainerDay and subscribed for a year after one work out. A couple of weeks in and I am really impressed, just what I need and nothing that I don’t. I am very happy so far, and am easing into what I am doing for a couple of months before ramping up. Great for my mental outlook.

2 Likes

Wow!!! So nice to hear. I love this :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

It makes all the hard work and low pay worth it…

To be transparent obviously my no pay, current low pay will soon be good pay. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!!!

Long time Zwifter turned Trainer Road user and now trying out Trainer Day. I love the flexibility it offers as well as the TP and Zwift integration. I got burnt out on TR, not so much from the workouts but just staring at a graph on my phone with little to engagement with others while working out. Hopefully being able to take these purposeful intervals into Zwift will help spark a new motivation and temper some of the burnt out I’ve picked up recently.

I’m a 36yo husband and dad of 1 with twins on the way, I picked up cycling during covid and got into Gravel Racing about 2 years ago, and just got serious about interval training this year.

Welcome, welcome. I am a dad of twins!!! Twins rock!!! The beginning is hard but after that. Wow, what an amazing experience. We have a boring screen too :slight_smile: But yes we believe everyone needs to find their way of training, that’s why we try to let everyone do it there way, and we just try to inject some good ideas/practices where we can.

Just turned 9 recently…

1 Like