IHT or Hypoxic for training (Tents and Altitude training)

Has anyone already trained with the IHT method using hypoxia?

I have tried blood flow restriction (BFR) with indoor training. I was not consistent enough with it to be sure it had much effect but a friend (coach/scientist) that did longer testing felt it produced decent results with very minimal durations. But I know nothing about hypoxia training. I could ask him as he is a top pro cycling scientist.

So I talked to Andrea. He has one of the best sports/cycling labs in the world. He said for him he doesn’t see any clear proof that tents do much although they seem to be used consistently in pro cycling. Now he believes if you are going to race at altitude spending a month their first is important and if you can live at altitude and race at lower elevations this has a noticeable benefit. He said it seems like no large groups of cyclists are living at sea level and training in high elevations or even the opposite, they really are using tents. I see on another forum that someone said they sleep terrible in a tent and so even if they had any benefits it was not worth it.

It’s interesting. I like to try to understand this stuff.

1 Like

What’s funny is he even wrote an article on it recently in Italian and here is a translation.

HYPOBARIC TENT = ALTITUDE TRAINING? NOT EXACTLY

From this year, Italian athletes can also use hypoxic or hypobaric tents, which until last season were considered equivalent to doping practices.

A historic ban included in the anti-doping penal law 376/2000 has been lifted. In a communication sent by the Ministry of Health to the Medical Sports Federation and all sports federations at the end of November, it read: “In reference to the latest ministerial decree containing the list of active principles and doping methods dated October 23, 2023, which states ‘The use of the hypobaric chamber is not prohibited; the athlete who resorts to this practice must remain under the strict control of a sports doctor both before and after using the hypobaric chamber,’ it is stated that this indication arises from a scientific-bibliographic review carried out by the Superior Health Council, which expressed itself at the request of the Section for Doping Vigilance and Control of the Technical Health Committee to provide a technical scientific opinion on the possibility of using the hypobaric chamber for sports use. This method was prohibited, contrary to what was already provided by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency). In order to align the treatment of Italian athletes with those from other countries, the Section for Doping Control has decided to proceed with the aforementioned request.”

Now that Italian athletes can prepare like their international competitors using this tool, it is important to understand its purpose and how to use it. “Even though the investment is not insignificant, there has been a boom in requests regarding the purchase of hypobaric or hypoxic tents, which allow athletes to simulate altitude in the comfort of their own homes. There are numerous models available (even portable), which, connected to a compressor, progressively reduce the amount of oxygen available, as if the athlete were sleeping at high altitude: in this way, the body is naturally forced to produce more red blood cells, and therefore, there will be a greater percentage of oxygen available to the muscles for sports effort,” explains Andrea Morelli, head of the Movement Analysis Laboratory at the Mapei Sport Research Center in Olgiate Olona (Varese).

“Simulating altitude or being at altitude, however, is not the same thing. At altitude, the percentage of oxygen in the air is the same as at sea level; what changes is the partial pressure of oxygen, which affects the lungs’ ability to exchange oxygen and bind it with hemoglobin to then be transported in the bloodstream. In a hypoxic tent, instead, there is a dilution, a decrease in the percentage of oxygen to try to reproduce what happens at altitude,” continues the coach, a reference point for cycling at the Varese center, which many professionals, both individually and as scientific and technical consultants of some teams, rely on, such as Lidl-Trek with Elisa Longo Borghini, Jonathan Milan, Elisa Balsamo, and Giulio Ciccone.

“The first studies conducted in the mid-to-late 1990s by Swedish and Finnish researchers in the early 1990s seemed very promising, showing high gains in terms of serum erythropoietin, red blood cells, and hemoglobin. However, these results were downsized by further research carried out by Australian colleagues in the early 2000s, which demonstrated the efficacy of this technique with only small gains and only with a stay of at least 8-18 hours a day for a period of at least 3-4 weeks simulating an altitude of about 3,000 meters.”

Andrea, [5/31/24 10:48 AM]
For Morelli, the investment is not worth it; a training camp in a beautiful mountain location with teammates is better, especially because during a retreat, the volume of training (hours) and the total ascent work make the difference. In any case, if opting to use a hypobaric hypoxic tent, one must take the right precautions. “For a professional athlete, I personally prefer altitude training. For amateurs, I recommend focusing on other aspects, primarily training. Often, the distribution of weekly work and the periodization followed are incorrect; addressing bike fitting, following a personalized diet both in and out of races, before considering these ‘marginal gains.’ Following the scientific guidelines of the ‘living high and training low’ protocol, we can try to maintain the training intensity at home as if we were at sea level, but we need to adjust the training volume because sleeping ‘at altitude’ with less oxygen available prolongs recovery times,” concludes the expert.

I agree with Andrea here. There is no hard scientific evidence that these tents deliver solid results. The best way is to sleep high, train low for several weeks. I have also read a lot of books about cycling and all the people who wrote about their experience sleeping in tents said it was a lot of hassle for no real benefits.

I would recommend to check if your training and nutrition is developed to the max, before you try anything that is a lot more effort.

I have had the tent for many years but I don’t like sleeping in it because I don’t consider it a good sleep. Looking at the English site Altitudecentre.com I wanted to use it again with IHT training.

I contacted them but and they asked me for an interview. I do not speak English . Then everything stopped.

Sorry to hear that. You are serious. I don’t know anyone on our platform as serious as you are :slight_smile: I am sure some are but I don’t know any that want to go to this level of discomfort for their training.

I had asked my triathlon and cycling trainers if they knew about this training practice but it is something for a few so they never inquired about it.
It’s definitely a tough workout both mentally and physically.