Please add Ant+ support (COMPLETED)

And never forget that a sensor with both connections has a price today of around 30 € ($) with the advantage of using it indoors or outdoors.

Yes I have had multiple people tell me that $4/month is more than they want to pay so they will be using ERGvideo or GoldenCheetah even though they prefer our app. I have seen forums of people saying “wow, it’s free… oh no too bad it’s 4$ a month” in other languages… I am happy if people are fine using GC or ERGvideo. I do want to have a great solution for the people that want to use their mobile device and can squeeze out $12 for the winter… Having to potentially buy an HRM and maybe a cadence sensor just takes them too far though… Especially since they are not totally sure they like it.

Everybody is different off course. For me, I can’t justify a monthly subscription over 10$ for a simple ERG player. I know the other apps have more than that but I don’t need/want more. Trainerday App with PowerMatch is great value for money, especially with the actual subscription option. On the other hand, a once of buy for about 30-40€, like a sensor is not likely a problem for me. But that is totally different with a subscription-150-200$ a year… I’m neither rich nor poor, but always carefull with the money I have on hand. I always try to get the most out of my carefully chosen equipment.

I felt the same way. I was using TrainerRoad but I could feel neither was it designed for me nor was it priced for me. So instead of spending $20 a month I chose to spend many tens of thousand dollars so that I could get it for free :slight_smile: Actually I mostly spent one of my best friends money… :slight_smile: but a seriously large amount of unpaid time so far…

1 Like

Interesting

There is a software bridge for Android phones on Github. Ant+ enabled Android phones could use the app with ANT+ sensors without additional expense.
And non ANT+ phones can use this with OTG cable and ANT+ dongle.
3 Likes

I will research this, very interesting. I read about something like this and thought it would not work but maybe it was something different.

Hello Alex, so, for the future, I need to purchase a BLE HR ? I really don’t have a problem getting this, in order to make the app function .

On another subject, is the Tacx Vortex Smart, compatible with the app ?

Hello Ken, yes right now you need BLE HR monitor and yes you can search and find the topic in this forum called Power match and I have two Vortex users there testing power match. Assuming you have a power meter on your bike power match will be great for you too. Power match is in beta now but will be in the app store early next week.

No power meter on my training bike, just the one in the Vortex Smart. My climbing has a dedicated power meter.
Well it’s still of great value to me at $4 / mo. to download plans and workouts into GC. All my ride data and workouts are stored in GC.
Really, I prefer my large monitor , rather than a little tablet/phone.

Makes sense, yeah with dedicated trainer bike and no power meter and with in accuracy and less enjoyment with wheel-on trainers it makes more sense to buy a Tacx Flux more than a PM for that bike. Also you can project phone/tablet to TV but if you are happy with GC that is fine solution

There are a number of utilities that allow you to display your phone screen on a PC screen. For Android I use “scrcpy” because it is very flexible.

I connect my phone to a portable with touchscreen. The touchscreen is now a big phone :joy: with big buttons. HDMI from portable to TV screen for Netflix, TV, Youtube…
@kcblair I have a Vortex and Favero pedals. The pedals are easily moved from indoor to outdoor bike. Vortex is quite stable once warmed-up but if you want stable power over time, better not calibrate to often. Calibrate with Tacx app once and then just keep your tire pressure and roller pressure the same every ride. You probably know this, but there is no power meter in most trainers. They have an internal speed-power curve that is shifted up/down in function of the spindown test result. On Vortex that speed/power curve is linear whereas most older non-smart trainers have an exponential curve.

Yep, I calibrate at beginning of indoor season, everything remains constant .

I’d vote for Ant+, but I’m all Apple, so maybe when you get a desktop app (I do have a W10 machine in the BTC), then yes please.

1 Like

Any news about ANT+ support? Great application but useless for me (Garmin ANT+ sensors, Powerbox power meter with ANT+ support only)

Hello Paulo, sorry no update yet. My goal is to definitly have it ready for next winter training season but I realize that is likely not what you want to hear. I do really want to do this, just have a lot of other things we are trying to do now.

OK, understand. But keep it in mind.

It’s good to know it’s on the roadmap! Would be very nice to have since it extends the range of trainers usable with the app.
Personally I can’t justify $80 (with import taxes and fees) for the CABLE thing, could get 8 months = almost two years worth of Xert for the same money.

Edit: and apparently it wouldn’t work anyways, “Please note that the FE-C trainer control to FTMS function is not currently supported in the app. The trainer will report power in iOS, but ERG is not available.”

Ok yes hopefully we can start this in the next month or so, need to see how much work it is because their is no native Ant+ library for the code we are using.

Hi Alex, I’m happy to look into ANT_ (for Android). I inherited the MaximumTrainer code from the previous owner after he decommissioned it & as such have got familiar with ANT+ as I started to look at porting MaximumTrainer to Linux.
However the build process wasn’t really repeatable, so would rather use my time contributing to a live & active project. Email me direct if you want to follow up.
Thanks

Super cool. Sent you a direct message.