Please help me choose a training plan

To be honest, I’m not quite sure how to create a new topic)))). I am communicating with you through an online translator. I am 51 years old. Height 180cm; weight 74-75kg; have an athletic spirit, but no longer as strong as in my younger years))). I practice Yoga, swim and work out on an exercise bike.
Coach Jack created a “Basic++” plan for me, with consistent days set aside for workouts (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday). But my social work is specific - I work 1 day; 1 night - 4 days at home. The first day off after a night can only be for a recovery workout in the evening before bed. The whole challenge for me is how do I rearrange Jack’s plan to fit my work schedule? Just drag and drop suggested workouts into the calendar? Maybe you have some tips for me? It would be greatly appreciated!!! While I haven’t approved Jack’s plan yet - perhaps you can suggest something more relevant to me.

Visually, I like the plan Coach Jack created for me - it looks like a challenge and I’m comfortable with that. But I don’t understand on Saturday and Sunday I have two workouts, sometimes three - do I have to do them one after the other or do I have to take a break? If I need a break, what kind of break?

I will let Robert respond. We have a check box that turns one long ride into multiple shorter rides for indoor. Indoor is not as dynamic as outdoor so super long sessions are not ideal. So taking a break between them as optimum. I would say at least 10 minutes between them, get up and do something else. Maybe stretch whatever. Longer is fine as well. I moved this to a new topic. :slight_smile: @Robert_UCL

Thank you, Alex, for your responsiveness and for helping me create a new (my))) ) ) topic. I will be grateful for any advice from Robert and all those who will read this thread. For now, I’m deciding to take the recommended plan from Coach Jack and try it out - we’ll see what happens!!! In the course of the play - I will study the possibilities of the app and calendar, well, and understand - what - to what!!!
Coach Jack “called” my plan “Alexander’s Strong Rider plan”))))) - I hope to become a strong rider!!!
I confirmed the plan and clicked the “Send to Calendar” button. Haven’t created a copy or done anything else yet because I don’t know what and for what and was afraid of messing something up.
Today is the first day of the plan and training «ENDURANCE. Z2_PLUS #1" - I will go do the training and then share the result and opinion.

1 Like

Did the workout.
Summary:

1. Unpleasantly, when switching from the first unit to the second unit, the simulator’s load control failed. The settings in the app were in ERG mode. Yesterday everything was fine, but today’s workout was a glitch. The load was supposed to increase and it seemed to happen at first, but immediately reset to the value of the previous block. I pressed the «slope" button and the load increased above the target load. I pressed the «HR" button and the load again increased above the target load. It was only after a subsequent press of the «ERG" button that the correct operation of the simulator load was restored. I think this problem is in the program itself, because this has never happened before in any application of different platforms (I have tried free periods of almost all existing platforms and applications).

2. After finishing the workout and saving its results, it never appeared either in Garmin Connect or in Intervals.icu, although the connection access to them is open. Screens attached. P.S. Upload only in Trainingpeaks.
  3. At the end of workout from the iPad I was able to share only a jpeg file via AirDrop. Neither Fit-file nor TXC-file could be sent neither via AirDrop, nor to mail, nor to Viber - nowhere!..!! Strangely from other apps (assensei, wahooSistm, concept2, etc) it works like clockwork.

Did a 2100 meter swim workout in the afternoon, and plan to do a recovery workout on the Kickr v6 in the evening - we’ll see how the app behaves.

Yes, a couple users have this issue some times. We recently made a change to fix another problem and it created this one. It’s really a problem of your device having errors but the other bigger apps are more mature and better at dealing with these errors. We are working on a fix for this and will have something soon.

Sharing to airdrop. I just tested this with TCX to air drop to my computer and it worked fine. Any more details you can provide would be great.

Also we don’t sync to Garmin (it says that on the screenshot you shared). We also don’t sync to intervals. You must sync to intervals via strava or dropbox. We should say this on this page.

Alex, tell me, is it technically possible to provide the possibility to change the location of statistics windows in the settings? I would like to see the windows in this order

, someone else may have different views and desires. Is it technically possible? Is it not difficult?
And it would be great if the power and HМR statistics would change color to match the zones - as it is implemented on Wahoo bike computer. Maybe numbers or backgrounds.
For an example by zone

Example of an attention-grabbing convenience

And of course it would be possible to change it in the settings - maybe someone will not like it, but I think that for the training process it would be a huge plus!!!

For sure it is technical possible but we are low cost and focus on the most critical problems still. We have a lot of other critical priorities that come above this. Many others have asked for this but we have so much stuff like a PC app for example that is critical for people to train with. Also there are so many different views for different devices that this is not as simple as it seems. Target has a value that goes under it.

Alex, I tried to research the article Designing the Perfect Interval Workout Using W’Bal - TrainerDay Blog
on defining my W’Bal, but the video links in the article no longer work.
Check out the 3 minute video that shows how W’Bal works in TrainerDay
https://vimeo.com/413023203
A video with a deeper dive into how to use W’Bal
https://vimeo.com/415432940
Could you please update the links so I can watch the video you recommend?
Also, the link to the pdf document "We use the Skiba-Froncioni-Clark W’bal formula is not valid. Below is a very intense scientific article describing the validity of this scientific model.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/43093774.pdf

Ok will fix it ASAP (hopefully this week it can be done). Thanks for pointing this out.

Strange - I had no luck at all with the W’Bal activation. I entered the values into the calculator, but it refused to calculate anything((((

Hi Lucmen,

I’m Coach Robert. You have already talked with Alex about all the technical stuff. I’m here to help you with your initial question about setting up your training schedule.

I worked for the police when I was younger, so I know what it is to train and work night shifts. The first question you need to ask yourself is what the impact of the night shift is.
I’m a night owl, and I can handle the night shifts really well. The morning shifts, however, are terrible and break me.
Other colleagues had different biorhythms and felt broken after the night shift.

How do you respond? If it is not a problem, you can try more training. If it is, you’ve done a great job with the recovery training.

Make sure you monitor your recovery.

Since you are only training indoors I would invest in better equipment that allows you to move the bike. A rockerplate, for instance. It will give your body more room to wiggle around as you would on an outdoor bike. This will diminish the chances of injury.

Keep moving your hands around and sit up straight every 30 minutes or so.

I always take a short break, go to the toilet, do some light stretching, grab another bottle, and then continue my work out.

Coach Jack is doing a great job splitting your workouts. Since you want to swim, too, you could also use that as a break if you can ride a bike to the pool—kind of a bike—swim—bike. This doesn’t make any sense if you go in the car to the pool, and that takes you longer than 20 minutes.

This way, you make it into one big endurance training.

Make one change at a time. Monitor what happens for a week or two. Then, change the next thing. This way, you always know the effect of the changes you make.

I recommend setting goals every 8-12 weeks. This will get you working towards peak performance and keep you focused. After 12 weeks, you take a week off. You still work out, but you do less and no intensity work. I wouldn’t even record the workouts—just rides you can enjoy. Cut back to half the hours. Then, make a new goal.

If you don’t have any goals, create one. It can be anything: riding as hard as you can for one hour, doing five hours in a row (with small breaks in between in case of indoor riding), or creating your own challenge.

You will see that Coach Jack already gave you some breaks, probably every fourth week. Consider what your work and this schedule do to your mindset. It may feel hard at times, but it should also be relaxed and fun at times. There is a balance there.

You have a full schedule with a risk of overtraining. If it’s constantly feeling hard, take a break and delete some training from your schedule. You can always take up more when you’re ready to do so.

Don’t forget to have fun… lots of it.

You are going to have to be on the payroll as a tester soon. Yes, it seems I caused a few issues here. I changed servers and broke some dependencies that I did not realize existed. I partially fixed the calculator. It now works but you manually have to copy the values because the Apply button does not work yet.

These blog posts are old, and parts seemed to have died (thanks for pointing this out). I will get these fixed soon. Seems time to do a new video on W’Bal. I will even try to do this today if I can.

1 Like

I should point out that Coach Jack does not use W’bal as we are not trying to push people to the edge at any given moment. We instead try to push people a little harder each time so you never need to go to the edge. If some one is in the last 4-6 weeks before a critical race and needs extra motivation to push themselves to what should be possible or at least on the edge then W’bal is great. Or if choosing a random workout that has intervals > FTP from our db you can see how well it aligns to your physiology.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed letter with tips for me!!! You have provided me with very valuable recommendations. I can judge and validate this as I practice Yoga and am a certified teacher. I don’t teach now and never have, but only trained and have two certificates. ))) I practice for myself. Yoga teaches to find balance in everything and everywhere. That’s basically what you advised me to do. Thank you again. I will be glad to communicate with you in the future!!!

Alex, I hasten to share a summary of the second training session performed. I am delighted with what happened during the training. I describe everything in detail so that you and those who read this post can understand what I am writing about))). Perhaps it is necessary to describe the presence of my gadgets, which can affect the result. I have a Wahoo Kikr v6 exercise bike; a Wahoo Element Rооm2 cycling computer; an Assioma Duo power meter and a Garmin Phoenix 7Pro watch and an iPad 12.9 pro. A small remark for all those readers who will exclaim - wow, He is rich!!! ))) No - everything is very simple - for all these things I took loans, for which I now need to pay back 5 years.(((( I can already hear some exclamations “Well sick!!!”; “Well idiot!!!” - No - it’s simple too - I’ve always loved sports and active living!!! I think this is the most meaningful, meaningful and reliable investment of these funds. I’m describing all this, not to advertise these gadgets, but to make you, Alex, realize the importance of what you do together with your team for people like me and for not quite rich people. Until recently, for 2-3 years (I used to use the Elite Turbo Muin exercise bike), I only used free test periods of various applications and platforms that have already become tycoons in this field. Perhaps if I were rich, I’d long ago settled on a couple of them that I really liked, but I couldn’t afford to do that. And the search for something really affordable and meaningful brought me to you and your app. Thank you so much for your labor, effort and responsiveness.

Keep up your hard work and work on the quality of the product - and everything will bear fruit!!!

Well now for this morning’s scheduled workout from Coach Jack - Z2_PLUS2 #1. Last night when I clicked on this workout in my calendar, I clicked on the “Submit” button and it appeared in my Garmin Connect calendar as a purple colored sign
План
, clicking on it did nothing but give me the option to remove it from the calendar or change the plan.

I moved it to today’s date and left it as it was, without giving it any thought, noting in my mind that there is no perfection that one is so eager to find))). But Garmin Connect did its job - it sent the workout to the watch and in the morning, having selected the “exercise bike” workout, the watch suggested me to take the planned workout Z2_PLUS2 #1. I was pleasantly surprised and decided to run it.

This is the end of the story, but I would like to say only one thing - further training took place in full delight and satisfaction with the watch - it signaled every interval scheduled in your application - it brought both joy and satisfaction from the process of joint use of my devices and your application. After completing a workout in the Garmin Connect calendar, the same inscription appeared in green with the completed workout,
Снимок экрана 2024-04-09 в 15.42.49
the full statistics of which can be viewed by clicking on this inscription.

However, the old inscription of purple color remained inoperable, but it is not difficult to delete it or if necessary to transfer it to another date, making it scheduled.

P.S. In the warm-up and warm-down modes, power sags were once again traced - I eliminated them by switching the ERG-slope-HR buttons. Alex, thank you and your team for your hard work!!! You and your team may not be aware that you have succeeded in doing what many have asked for. It works!!!

Love this!!! Great job. We will start working on this issue so you don’t have to click slope and back. Some times this can happen if Garmin or Wahoo is also on and connected to your trainer. And many of us here know what it is like to have a passion and spend our future earnings on it :slight_smile: TrainerDay is actually this passion for me. We try very hard to give as many people as we can a great experience, letting them train in the way that they need/want. I have almost all the same devices as you :).

1 Like

Alex, perhaps you misunderstood me. I meant the location of the statistics windows - their position on the screen. This is the arrangement we have now in the application.

And here is the arrangement I’m proposing.

And even if we don’t consider the colored alarms about being in zones, I think it’s not a problem for your colleagues to swap them. I will try to explain and prove the logic and convenience of what I propose.

1. The location of the time of intervals - well located in the upper left corner - so it should be - this is what is happening now (we write from left to right and the eyes so convenient to read, and the brain to perceive) - there is no need to change anything!!! But next to the statistics of the total time of training is desirable to move to the right - to the end - if anyone needs to see how much is left until the end of the torment and suffering - just for a second will move his eyes to the right - to the end of the line, and the brain and will work on the perception of the end.))))))

2. In controlling the process of training on the important power and statistics on it has a place in the middle. At the top is the goal - that’s why it’s higher, and at the bottom is what we’re cranking and aeroposition is more convenient to keep track of what’s at the bottom rather than at the top - less cervical spine fracture, we only have to lift our eyes occasionally to control the goal!!! This arrangement of power stats will make a horse step in better arrangement of HMR and cadence stats - it will separate the two.

3. On the left heart control - opposite the heart - it is clearer to the brain in load mode what the numbers the eyes are seeing. On the left is cadence. Separating these two stats will eliminate any confusion about the numbers - because in zones 1 and 2 these stats are often very similar and similar, and sometimes the same!!!

If you and your team don’t like what I’m suggesting at all, perhaps you could consider the HMR and cadence logos?

P.S. Please do not regard my advice as a complaint and dissatisfaction - just want to help you and your team to come to the ideal!!!

Yes, many people would love to have a field designer, my point was more this was a nice to have feature and since we are the lowest cost we try to stick to the basics when possible but when we feel we have the basics covered we can start to move to the nice to have. I meant this “The last Segment” is actually talking about your next target, so it’s a bit confusing if it is not connected with the target itself. I realize it can be a personal choice.

But it seems every time we make changes to our UI it seems to break it for some specific device (some super small phone or some people run this on their desktop) so what appears to be easy, and I think is easy frequently comes up being not so easy :slight_smile: But again, you are not alone here. I must have had 10-20 requests for this over the years and I know lots of people would like it. We get used to Garmin or Wahoo flexibility and then we see we want it. Even TrainerRoad at 20$/month does not have this feature… Please request all the features you want. Some will get higher priority and some will get lower. We try to take bugs and issues very seriously even when they affect a small number of users so we actually do a lot of fixes that affect a small number of devices.

I could not find a new version of that PDF, so I just removed it for now. I did create a new video to explain all this and added it to that article. But you can see it here.

1 Like