Send metrics to Garmin Connect

Oh I see I did not see this.

Trainer Day training -> Garmin computer -> Garmin Connect

I saw this

Trainer Day training +
Garmin computer -> Garmin Connect

But yes I think we are all confused :slight_smile: we just need to build a chrome plugin that does this sync.

I have a friend at Garmin and he says it takes VP level approval to get us added to this activity submit API

In my case, I signed up for a Garmin Connect account without any Garmin device since it offers a free online hub to gather my activity and analyze it. I also have some friends with Garmin so it allows me to see their activity and vice versa.

Having found intervals.icu, Garmin Connect analysis pales by comparison.

2 Likes

The success of Intervals.icu made Garmin decide to stop being a hub for third-party activities…
Says enough I guess.
If the OP is interested in a different analysis environment, he can simply link TrainerDay and Intervals on a Dropbox folder.

1 Like

So I’m referring to Garmin Connect. Currently I use TrainerRoads app to do my ride afterwards I like to sync the data from the ride to Garmin Connect with my other works.

Then you are out of luck. TrainerDay isn’t considered Big enough for Garmin. The only way to do it is with a manual export/import.

Yes Ashley your two choices are

1. Manually download and upload to Garmin. If you need instructions on this I can provide them or do a small video. It should only take about 30-seconds but I know that is a a little painful. I wish Garmin would let us automate it.

2. Use our app to control your trainer but at the same time record with your Garmin computer.

Recording Workouts

I use my trusty Garmin 520 to record all my workouts year round, Indoors and out. My indoor configuration has TrainerDay running the workout on an iPad. It communicates to my Stages Smart Bike via Bluetooth. At the same time I run the bike’s Stages Link app on a second iPad to control my bike’s gears and show additional metrics like L:R pedal balance and power with 10 second smoothing. It also connects via Bluetooth.

I use my Garmin computer to record all workouts. It shows additional metrics like normalized and peak power. The Garmin communicates with my bike via Ant+.

All workouts are saved for free on connect.garmin.com. If I forget to turn on my Garmin computer, I just download the TCX file from TrainerDay and upload it to the Garmin web site. This happened a couple of times last year. TrainerDay essentially provides a workout backup in this scenario :white_check_mark: .

Analyzing Workouts

This real fun starts after the workout is complete. I analyze and plan my next workout with GoldenCheetah.org.

I can monitor stress metrics like TSS (both aerobic and anaerobic), IF and w-balance to select my next workout from various Tempo, Threshold, V02 Max and HIIT L7 workouts I have built in TrainerDay :+1: .

(I only wish I could set my FTP correctly in TrainerDay. Unfortunately, it does not show L7 workouts properly unless I inflate my FTP. Let’s leave that story for another time :wink: ).

What a great looking setup. Thanks for the detailed write up. Don’t worry your FTP problem is always fresh in my mind so I am dreaming of the day I come up with an elegant solution for this that we are both happy with.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please scale workouts that are > 200%

When I upload my TD workout to Garmin Connect, there is no TSS data. Are you saying the way get around this is to connect the Edge 520, which I have, to the Smart Trainer?

Resurrecting an old topic here so apologies.

In fact this is actually a feature request

I understand Garmin (for no good reason) won’t let TD push completed activities to Garmin Connect (despite some other apps offering this) and that TD already has the option to automatically push completed workouts to Dropbox or just download them to allow me to upload to Garmin Connect but… would it be possible to also add the option for TD to email completed activities to me too?

I get that probably only one person in the world (me) might prefer this to the other options but it would be good as I find I never look at dropbox and always forget to export from TD whereas I’m always on my email so would always do it.

Cheers

Hi Stephen. Not sure if you saw but you can use RunGap iOS app to automatically connect to TrainerDay and upload to Garmin. Secondly here is another option. I think Zapier would be free for this use. IFTTT might also be able to do this.

Thanks Alex - I did see the Rungap thread just after posting this - Downloaded and first thing it does is ask for money before it offers any value (its own aggregated analysis feature not being helpful for me as I don’t have files in 64 different apps!) but it’s not much money and it does look good and would meet the needs of getting TD activities into Garmin Connect.

Funny Garmin allows them to push activities to Connect but not TD and others.

Thanks for the quick and useful reply as always!

1 Like

Apps such as RunGap are using Garmin’s private API’s meaning kind of breaking the rules but since he has had this for 10-years and they know about it and did not shut him down it’s “ok.” I am not as optimistic about TrainerDay falling into this same category so I am nervous about doing this.

Garmin (last i heard) was they are requesting for some high $$ fee for connecting to their API. Hence Zwift / TR / Rouvy etc have this priviledge. However, having said that… these apps also have their own downsides as Garmin only will calc Training Load and some other metrics when you record on their official devices, so if you use Zwift, you won’t get Training Load unless you dual-record.

I’m not entirely sure how RunGap does their connection to Garmin, but from some other apps I’ve seen, they are mimicking a user using a browser to login/upload etc.

If you’re not allergic to using python and the command line, you can actually do this same thing albeit manually. (https://github.com/search?q=garmin%20connect&type=repositories)

No in this case Garmin is not accepting any new partners doing uploads (you can search threads here and see their response). My friend also works there at a fairly high level and said it requires VP level approval. Now yes if we were as big as Zwift they might work a deal :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, just a quick correction. Garmin now does calculate training load etc on rides coming from Zwift and a select few other systems. It DOES not give credit for challenges. The trick it Zwift must send the ride to Garmin Connect and then you have to sync it to your supported Garmin device as the load is calculated by the device (in my case a forerunner 255) and the sent back to Connect.

2 Likes