Wahoo Element integration (Push workouts to Wahoo Elemnt)

I guess you mean TP subscription. My guy at Wahoo is not responding lately but with Wahoo promoting SYSTM maybe they don’t want to. I think us creating a Plan file export might improve things a little, especially for those that wan to follow a calendar.

Thanks! Yes of course I mean TrainingPeaks. TD is not expensive :wink:

As I have the workouts in the intervals.icu calendar anyways, exporting the .mrc file there and uploading it via cable to my Elemnt Roam is possible. However, this is quite cumbersome (computer, cable, an extra “sync” on the Elemnt). Furthermore the workout is not associated with a specific date on the Elemnt either (but I guess it wouldn’t be either if there was an integration between TD and Wahoo).

It would be a real pity if Wahoo would go down the way of locking users into their own ecosystem, instead of standardising, opening up interfaces and competing by developing great features.

Yes that is why if we or David generate plan files with a date it would work in you’re Elemt showing on the right day. You could load a full month at a time, I think. I still need to test this to see the experience but TP is obviously the best solution currently.

is wahoo still not updating their cloud API?

Sadly no. I am not getting any response from my resource there. I also have a friend that is the lead developer for their Cloud API. He is not great at responding either but I will ask him if there is any progress :). My thinking is they might not want to do this because now that they have Systm they want to push users to that. We are planning on generating .plan files so you could load your “calendar” directly in your device file but still not as good as direct integration.

2 Likes

So we did one thing to improve Wahoo users experience with using our calendar. Premium users can download 1 month’s of .plan files and copy them to your Elemnt. These files have the date in them so they will show up on the right day on your device.

2 Likes

This works really well but the feature is a bit hidden.
How about a getting started guide for Wahoo users which lists the transfer options? If I didn’t follow the forum threads on this topic I wouldn’t have noticed this download link at all.

Yes I am working on that. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Is this still an ongoing process? If I download a plan to my Elemnt and it puts them in on the correct workout days, am I able to do them on another date if I want/need to?

You would need to use our calendar and just move them in the calendar and download the .plan files. Does this make sense or am I confused?

Thanks Alex. I think that makes sense. Basically, the workout would need to be moved in TrainerDay, rather than on my Elemnt. Do you have an update on pushing workouts to Wahoo head units by any chance?

You can do it now by connecting your Wahoo to TraingPeaks (TP), and our Calendar to TP. But Wahoo has gone silent on allowing direct integration.

1 Like

Putting any MRC Workout on a Wahoo device through USB cable is simple :

1. convert MRC file to Wahoo plan file format using https://github.com/ManuelWiese/mrc_tools
    python mrc_to_wahoo_plan.py workout.mrc
    (if you’re using windows) dos2unix workout.plan
  2. on your Wahoo mounted as a MTP device, create a folder named “plans”
    i.e. “This PC\ELEMNT-BOLT\USB storage\plans”
  3. copy workout.plan to “This PC\ELEMNT-BOLT\USB storage\plans”
  4. on your wahoo, go to “Planned Workout”, and Synchronize

It’s even easier, just add it to our calendar and download plan files :slight_smile:

Thanks, but apps and Device displays “Upgrade to Enable Sending Options”, and I cannot pay 4 $/month to upgrade.

Ok, yes good point. Your suggestion is free. If you can’t really afford 4$ a month but would like a free upgrade, I don’t mind upgrading you.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I am wanting to get workouts that I can do outdoors with my Wahoo bolt. Is this feature pretty easy to use? I like how seamless trainerroad and training peak is with importing workouts, I just can’t afford the high monthly cost of either of those. Thanks!

Hi no problem. Just signup for TrainingPeaks free, and signup for TrainerDay paid :slight_smile: connect the three accounts (wahoo also) and click “send to TrainingPeaks” in our web app and your workout will be there. This feature is based on TrainingPeaks calendar so the workout only shows up for a few days and then you need to push again. We have 30,000 workouts and some are better for outdoor than others. We are working on the ability to convert indoor workouts to be better outdoor workouts. We have this feature now for our training plan builder Coach Jack and Garmin but will extend it to all workouts and TrainingPeaks.

So it is one click to get a workout to your Wahoo once you set it up, but at this time you must find workouts that you consider good for outdoors.

Does that answer your question?

We are also working on Send to TrainingPeaks in our mobile app, so you could use the mobile app instead of the web site. This should all be done in the next month. But it should work fine for you now. If you subscribe from our website I have no problem refunding your money if you are not happy with it.

That answers my question perfectly, thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

Since last november, Android Wahoo Companion App and Wahoo Elemnt Firmware do not allow anymore to read the .plan files in the dedicated “plan” folders in the phone or in the Wahoo Elemnt’s SD card…
Other Workout builder apps are impacted, like this one BUILDR | theBidon.com (see the comment at the bottom of the page).