Zone 2 - Aerobic Fat Burn Focused Coach Jack

So we have two new settings to go hard core zone 2 - fat burn focused workouts.

You can see how these workouts look.

The slope mode automatically switches to slope mode and you have you to watch your heart rate to stay on target. It shows 65% of FTP for reference, which should be close to your aerobic threshold (AeT).

This is in reference to this topic GCN dive into Zone 2

2 Likes

That’s a nice option. Works perfectly for a threshold workout I have below as it functions as a nice warmup leading into the intervals.

For the Vox2ax not so good as I think almost 40 mins of Z2 before Vo2max might impact the intervals.

Also there is now 10 mins of 40% for the cooldown which I think is a bit excessive? Could this be dropped to 5 mins?

Not sure what I am asking and everyone has different requirements but I think I’d flip the Z2 to the start and act as longish warmup but anything over 25 mins for me personally would start to impact hard intervals such as Vo2max.

I understand why the Z2 is moved to the start but I think there are benefits to leaving after the interval work also.

Anyways nice option and I think I will experiment with both this week.

Could this be edited manually to fir your purpose or am I missing something w/ CJ plans?

I am not sure what is going on with that cool down. I also like 5-minute cool downs and a person can always extend it if they want. We will change/fix this asap

You could build two Coach Jack Plans. One with Tuesdays Threshold and pre-ride z2 and a second plan with Thursdays VO2mast post ride z2. I generally think as you get to the higher levels #10 or so then all of it should probably be post main work Z2 as it could impact any workout but yes I fully agree with your thinking. Generally this pre-ride is great for your period of focus on aerobic work, base and early build and later in the build block as things get harder it makes more sense to have post ride z2. We always recommend starting at lower intensities but also realize some people don’t want to :slight_smile:

Anyway great thoughts. I like it. Let me think about these ideas more.

I think the workouts can be cloned and edited but that would be a large effort on a bigger plan.

1 Like

Thanks for the cooldown update. Actually looking at my plan in coach Jack I think I could update the ride feel for each workout dependent upon the workout type or intervals and update in my calendar. Some of the threshold at higher levels in a 90 min workout don’t have any capacity for Z2 anyways and as you mention I think I would be leaving Z2 after VO2max intervals so it would be exception that I would want Z2 in these blocks.

Noted re starting at lower intensities and intended use of this option :smiley:

It’s an interesting idea, need to think on that one too. It’s hard to do something like this and continue to keep our CJ/Calendar simple. I guess creating a CJ individual workout editor would do it. But that would be one at a time unless it was like “apply all to plan of the same workouts.”

Hey Alex,
I am not seeing these options.
Could you make a quick video showing how you get it?
or some screenshot

It should be under ride feel near the bottom. My developer might have only turned it on for beta testers. I just asked him to confirm