Coach Jack - Event Planning IS HERE

I am not sure if google is translating well so I am not sure I understand but I will answer what I think you are asking.

If you create a 28 week Jack plan that ends in June, you will be strong. I would pick “big climbs” for peak and “serious italian” for build. Once you are strong for june, you just need to rest after your event and then start a new event plan from june-july. June-July will just be another small peak period plan.

I would wait until next week that we fix a few small bugs first before creating your 28 week plan.

I hope that answers your questions. So this is not an annual training plan with multiple events but mulitple training plans which ends up being the same thing.

Thanks for the reply. I see that you have good ideas and the product will improve more. I will wait for the editing of the plans directly from coach jack.

The FTP estimation idea is also very good.

Finally, we agree that the most accurate way to train is by power, but still many people do not have the possibility of having a Smart Trainer or potentiometer and many still train by heart rate, it would be good to have a version (or option) of Coach Jack that generates plans by HR, you would also expand the potential customer base.

Regards,

April 10th, 2022

1 Like

Thanks, I am not sure I have very many good ideas but I think I am good at recognizing great ideas when they are presented to me and I have some great people to listen to including our customers. :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree 100% on HR training. I am a big fan of HR based training so I would love to add HR based trainig with Jack. I agree on the accuracy of power meters (in some regards) but I am not even convinced accuracy is that important for great performance. Guys were very fast before power meters and even before HR monitors. RPE is not that accurate for most of us but probably good enough to get fast if we really listen to our bodies and train a lot.

I really appreciate Dr Seilers statement of “stop chasing numbers.” Meaning don’t just focus on improving your FTP or some specific part of your power duration curve. Focus on quality training and recovery and let the results speak for themselves.

You sound like you have great ideas, please keep them coming :slight_smile: Jack is definitly going to be focused on delivery a great experience for cyclsits that are not deeply into all the technial aspects of performance cycling. We are working on a dynamic version of Jack that should be really fun/enjoyable.

1 Like

Count on that, I’ll tell you everything I think is good for Coach Jack.

Using intervals.icu, there is an option to estimate your FTP according to one of the 4 methods available you can choose.

PS: so maybe you could automatically sync that value from intervals.icu ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Brian we found the issue with the dates. This will be deployed later today with a few other fixes and I will update this thread.

The problem is I need to build a generic solution that works for all users, I like intervals but I have heard from different users it is too complex for them or too much information at the least, or some just want a single simple platform.

Also if I am not mistaken intervals requires max efforts to calculate FTP (most platforms do) but my goal is to allow FTP estimates without max efforts using HR/power relationships and/or dfa-a1. Coach Jack’s plans do not require max efforts. Many users do max efforts anyway and they are a good idea from time to time but I would love them not to be required to recognize progress.

I support intervals.icu because the developer does an incredible work, and it provides all the features that one would ask for (something mass people would ask to Strava for ex., and they would ignore it for years, if they ever do something about it…); but you can use it as simply or as thoroughly as you want, depending on what you really need. 95% of the time, I just follow my training plan on the “Activities” page. Some time, I require specific data, and I know that everything is already available (somewhere :wink: ) You don’t have to know each and every part of the app’, you just learn, step by step, according to your need.
Moreover, I like the philosophy, accessibility and dedication of the developer, including on the forums; kinda like what you are doing here.

You mentioned Xert as an example of what you’d like to do to evaluate the FTP, but Xert’s estimation is also based on max efforts. Well, if you can estimate the FTP without having to push yourself, that’s fine for me :smiley: Sometimes I like to go full-out for a PR, but I don’t like to disrupt my training plan to do an FTP test that will impair my next days/week, so, if you have something better, I take it.

David at intervals is an incredible developer. We have a whole team here and I feel he moves faster than us at an very high quality level. Intervals is a great product but like all products they don’t suit some users. TrainerDay has a very limited audience compared to Zwift :slight_smile:

Yes meant to say “Xert like FTP estimates” but I know theirs is also max efforts. TP WKO is also max efforts. But yes most cyclists do like some max efforts but many indoor riders don’t like them especially longer max efforts (myself included).

Thanks for clarifying. I fully agree with you :slight_smile:

Brian, the date issue is fixed and deployed.

Andrey the Stress = 0 problem is fixed

you’re sure? I keep getting the same problem. Should I delete cookies or something?

Oh you have to re-generate your plan. If you want us to update your plan we can.

Also I wanted to understand, you were suggesting editing weeks in Jack but I wanted to be clear I don’t have any plan of doing that. My plan is to improve your weekly or daily editing in our plan editor so that would be done once you generate the plan. Is there a specific reason you want this done in Jack? Maybe we can add the features you are envisioning inside of my plans plan editor?

“Oh you have to re-generate your plan. If you want us to update your plan we can.”

OK thanks, if not much trouble.

“Also I wanted to understand, you were suggesting editing weeks in Jack but I wanted to be clear I don’t have any plan of doing that. My plan is to improve your weekly or daily editing in our plan editor so that would be done once you generate the plan. Is there a specific reason you want this done in Jack? Maybe we can add the features you are envisioning inside of my plans plan editor?”

What I suggest and I find useful is to enter the coach jack and on a plan that I have already created to be able to change parameters as if it were generating it for the first time. This is, for example, to be able to change the time of Tuesdays, or to be able to change the ramp, or to choose another day for the long ride, etc.

As I see it, it is “simply” to let modify all the parameters after you have created the plan, and later you can resend it to my plans.

I think you can have both options: the option to change only one training through “my plans” or to be able to change several parameters at the same time by coach jack.

one is good if you only want to change one day, but if you want to change many days through coach jack it is better.

I hope I was clear. If you want you can send me a message for more clarity or even for tests. I am an electronic engineer passionate about cycling and you can tell me any help I can give you with pleasure.

Oh yes, edit or clone plan in Jack, yes that is definitely coming :slight_smile: I will let you know when tss is fixed.

1 Like

Hi Alex!

Is it safe to say that the Evet Planner does not care what the event is or anything about it but is simply designed to get you to your best shape possible when it arrives?

Thank you, verified its working well now!

1 Like

Want the long answer or the short one? I will do my best at the short one.

I primarily worked with my main 30-year pro coach that has coached thousands of non-pros as well and he made it clear that 99% percent of the people don’t need more than focusing on the core essence of their event. He and I both believe it’s mostly marketing or elaborate science theory (not proof) beyond that.

We will be adding skills work and better outdoor experience as well as fine tuning these plans but generally you need to remember road cyclists are primarily glorified air pumps. So for the most part the answer to your question is YES. Jack is focused on making you as strong as possible. But there is variation in the peak event types relative to your event or limiters.

The below questions are the one most important for any event. The actual specific event is mostly superficial beyond this.

I have a lot more I could say about this but I am trying to keep it short :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Alex! I appreciate it and understand.

I have been playing with the setup for my 160 mile event so based on your reply I will change the last two questions and so what changes.

Thanks again!

1 Like